Welcome to my life on the ballroom D - list



























Friday, May 1, 2015

Returning from Ohio Star Ball


At the end of 2014 I found there was a lot at stake to gain and a lot at stake to lose.  I had attracted a lot of amazing people, events and circumstances into my life. Many friendships and partnerships have a life cycle, and I reached a point where many of these had ended at the same time.

So after several intense years on the circuit, I decided to take some time off, time to reflect, recharge and recconect. Although the last four years had been wonderful, they did leave me with a few inflexible scenarios. Partnerships with several of my leading students ended abruptly, and I had to part ways with the beloved dance hall, where I had invested 110% of my life, work, and practice.

Making dance as a career is a challenging task. As both artist & as an entrepreneur, you probably realize that working on your business can easily cross that line from passion to obsession. ... But sometimes you don't. It's a struggle to make ends meet, and to meet performance and relationship demands from students. I found myself in patterns of working months on end without a day off, in addition to it affecting my health & well being, it lead me to neglect time spent with my family.

A nice long break was just what I needed.  No matter what type of dream we may have in our work and in the arts, no amount of success can ever replace a lost opportunity to be the best friend, husband, wife, father, mother, son, daughter or relative that you can be.

Since then, it's been nice to have time to reconnect with family.

The funny thing I experienced from taking a break from dance, is how enormously infinite one's free time can be without it. At first everything came to a grinding halt. Free time seems almost infinite when you don't have someone or something to love. Since the house had been empty since Roxi had left, I thought it was finally time to seek out and adopt a shelter dog.   I talked the idea over with my good friend, Shealyn Jae.

We met for lunch in November to chat about life in the dance world & adopting a pup. We spent the afternoon at Cedar Hill.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment