Welcome to my life on the ballroom D - list



























Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Patty Andrews, she knew my first dance teacher.

I was so sad to hear about the passing of Patty Andrews in January. I've been a huge Andrews Sisters fan all my life, and I own almost their entire filmography. Only a fraction of their films can be bought commercially and the rest are sought after in the rare collectors market.

When I started dance lessons at the German Hall, in Pawtucket Rhode Island, my very first dance teacher, Bob Barber, was in his early 80's when I was just 11 years old. Bob was an original member of the Harry James orchestra, and told me stories about being on the set of Private Buckaroo, and getting to meet Patty Andrews, of the Andrews Sisters. Patty, the youngest of the three sisters, was also a tap dancer, and she knew who to Lindy Hop. It is unofficially said among the lindy community that she took lessons from Dean Collins. Her dancing with Dean is documented in the film "Always a Bridesmaid" .





No comments:

Post a Comment