Welcome to my life on the ballroom D - list



























Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Chrysler Turbine Car



On the heels of watching the Recent Disney movie, Tomorrowland, I've found some pictures of my mom in the mysterious Chrysler Turbo car that appeared in the World's Fair.
My mom, along with my aunt and uncles, were entered in a raffle to ride in this famous car, which was on exhibit at the fair.  The Chrysler Turbine Car was an automobile powered by a gas turbine engine that Chrysler made from 1962-1964. Bodies for the Chrysler Turbine were made by Ghia in Turin, Italy, with final assembly taking place in a small plant in Detroit, Michigan, USA. After a period of testing, the vehicles were reclaimed by Chrysler; all but nine were destroyed. 

When I was just a kid, I remember seeing this car on display in the Smithsonian, and my mom recalled the story of her riding in it very clearly.

 It was fun watching the movie , Tomorrowland, with the World's Fair Pavillion so accurately recreated.








No comments:

Post a Comment