Welcome to my life on the ballroom D - list



























Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Roseland Ballroom closing , NYC

I'm so sad to learn that the Roseland has closed. It was on my bucket list to dance there and I am so very glad that I had the opportunity to check that off my list before it closed.

I danced there for Empire Dancesport in 2007. It is a wonderful memory for me.

Here are some pictures of the Roseland in happier days.


And how it looks now just after closing 
The last dance competition that we attended there was Empire Dancesport in 2007, I still have the ticket stub.
The event was hosted by Edward Simon at that time. The Roseland's location is far superior to the Conrad Hilton, where the event is held today. The Roseland had class and sophistication, with a near magic energy that is only captured by the years of love and energy that filled it's walls.

Here is a photo of the Marquis during the 2007 Empire Dancesport Chanpionships. 


I wish I had a photo of the lovers wall, listing all the couples who met and got married there. I tried taking pictures during my 2007 visit but the lights were too dim for camera resolution.

Although this is not the best quality photo, this may be one of the most intersteing photos that I took at the Roseland During my last visit, it is the Vernon & Irene Castle Award, which was presented to Louis I. Brecker by the Academy of Ballroom Dance Arts. The Roseland was founded initially in Philly, in 1917 by Louis Brecker with financing by Frank Yuengling of the Yuengling & Son beer family. The Roseland had two locations. The most recent facility was formerly an ice rink that was built in 1922. The dancing operations  moved to this space during the 1950's. Many jazz
greats and dance legends toured the Roseland including Glenn Miller and Ella Fitzgerald. 

I visited the Roseland with Daria Zotova and Dmitri Dogopolov. We were all working at the same studio back then.

Here is Dmitri on the Roseland's steps to the lower level.

It's feels like it was just yesterday that we visited the Roseland for the last time. It's so sad to see such an iconic venue close it's doors. I'm so thankful to have had the opportunity to be part of the Roseland's legacy.












No comments:

Post a Comment