Welcome to my life on the ballroom D - list



























Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Showfolk the movie, with Monica Lewis

This week I was privileged to see the movie Showfolk, during a special screening at the AFI Silver Theater in Silver Spring.
The film features several Golden Age entertainers including Monica Lewis , singer, entertainer and former MGM star. 

Website: www.monicalewis.com

I learned about this film by following Monica Lewis and Alicia Mayer on Twitter. I've learned so much from both these ladies, who inspire me by sharing their knowledge of Hollywood's Golden Age.

Here's a link to the trailer for the film
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Ut9kc9NoU

We first heard rumors that Showfolk would be airing, when we attended Robert Osbourne's perspective talk on the film, Flying Down to Rio. Several audience members rumored about the movie Showfolk, coming to DC, but no one knew if it was true.

How lucky we were to find tickets!

The film screening was held at the famous Silver Theater in Silver Spring, now home to the American Film Institute.
Alan Eichler had posted the Showtimes for the AFI film docs festival, which is how I learned, at short notice, the the film was playing this week. I quickly canceled my lessons and headed to the AFI, as it was a film not to miss. On the first day of screening, the show was sold out, so we got advance tickets for the next day.


I attended the screening with my dear friend, Miss Alice, who is a retired White House Secretary. She served every administration from Eishenhower to Obama, and she is also a classic movie lover.
After the show, we attended the discussion session. Jennifer Cylmer, was on the panel and shared her personal insights on the film. We were so honored to have our photo with her after the show!

I'm slouching in this photo, after I injured my back during dance practice this week. It took a few days of Yoga to straighten me out again :).

To my surprise, I was delighted to find this message on Facebook the following day.

Some people are truly magical in life, with their ability to move and inspire others, and I truly beleive that Monica Lewis is one of them.

She has several thousand Facebook followers and several hundred twitter followers.. She has what I like to call, intergenerational ability. Beyond being a wonderful singer and entertainer, she has moved into the digital age to inspire a new generation. I can think of nothing more generous to do.

This semester I'm making sure that all my youth and university students learn who Monica Lewis is. When we learn about pursing a life in the arts, it is most wonderful to discover that it can be lifelong and enduring.







No comments:

Post a Comment