Welcome to my life on the ballroom D - list



























Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Castle Walk

The Castle Walk




I've always been fascinated by Vernon and Irene castle, America's first ballroom dance couple. When I first started teaching, Francesca Cartwright gave me this book. I had just started teaching, and she helped to inspire me.

An original copy of Vernon's obituary was inside the book,
in a newspaper clipping from World War I











This year I had the pleasure of recreating the Castle Wak with Suzi Smith. We danced the Castle Walk at the 2011 Yuletide Ball and the 2011 New York Dance Festival. The most famous recreation was done in the RKO Film "the Story of Vernon and Irene castle"

Click here to see the Fred and Ginger version:
"The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle"

For Coparision, here's the clip of me and Suzi
http://youtu.be/H4LI2LininI





To learn more about Vernon and Irene Castle, visit them on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_and_Irene_Castle


No comments:

Post a Comment